Students will be able to demonstrate horizontal wand twirling.
Time: 45 minutes
Instruction: Whole class
Here are available Training Options!
1. Circle up the group.
2. Read the Activity Challenge Box to the group.
Challenge: Students will be able to demonstrate horizontal wand twirling
3. The teacher should demonstrate this activity first. Holding the end of the tube, straighten the arm and extend tube in front of you. Keeping your arm straight, “write” a figure eight in the air in a horizontal fashion, moving the tube in a clockwise direction.
4. If you are using more than one set of Toobeez, there should be enough for a class of 16. If you are using one set of Toobeez, students should take turns with the eight 24” tubes to demonstrate the horizontal wand twirling.
5. As students perfect the task, have them adjust the activity. Students can practice making larger and then smaller patterns. Students can also change their direction and move in a counter-clockwise motion.
6. Once students have practiced this task, students should grasp the tube at its center with their fingers so they can twirl the tube to develop coordination and fine-motor skills.
7. Finally, students can try to twirl the tube in several ways. They can twirl to their side or they can change hands.
8. After the activity, move to the “Activity Discussion and Processing” section of the activity.
1. To increase the difficulty.
Have the students attempt to twirl the tube behind their backs.
2. Decrease the difficulty.
The teacher can model the high and low patterns to help students better understand the activity.
3. Changing hands.
To make this activity harder, have the students change hands as they work through the twirling motion with the tubes
4. Adjusting the difficulty.
Change the size of the tubes to make this activity harder or easier. Larger tubes will be harder to handle, while smaller tubes will be easier.