This activity was taken from the Noggin BuilderZ advanced activity book
1. Learn what is a gear
2. Learn how to name the gears by its number of teeth
3. Learn how to name a gear (Driver, Driven, Idler Gear) by its position in a gear train
4. Learn how to increase, reduce speed, change direction with gears
5. Learn how to build a gear train and explore with the gear train
6. Play around with different combinations of gears and explore the applications to real life
To make the gear stand:
1. Insert the blue rod through the wheel
2. Secure the wheel with 2 discs, 1 at the front and 1 at the back of wheel
3. Insert the green gear to the blue rod
What Is A Gear
GEAR is use to transfer the power from the :
DRIVING GEAR (EFFORT)- it can be electric motor, a manual crank, a wind turbine etc to
DRIVEN GEAR (LOAD)- it can be wheel, fan etc
What Are Gears Used For
Gears can be used to:
1. Change speed.
2. Change torque
3. Change direction of motion
4. Transmit torque over a distance.
How Many Teeth Are On Each Gear
Gear Ratio is the DRIVER/DRIVEN
Draw a line on the GEAR, ask the children to notice/take down the number of turns.