Time: 45 minutes
Space: Lots (Half of a gymnasium)
Instruction: Whole class divided into two teams
1. Circle up the group and inform them they will be participating in a sprinting relay exercise.
2. Read the following Activity Challenge Box to the group.
Challenge: The object is to be the first team to finish and be seated at the end of the activity.
3. Demonstrate how to run and touch the tubes before returning back to the start of the line.
4. Inform students to give a soft “high-five” to the next person in line.
5. Inform students that the race is over when every team member has touched the tube in a relay fashion, and all students are seated behind the cones.
6. Divide the class into two teams.
7. At the teacher’s signal, the race will begin.
8. After the activity, move to the “Activity Discussion and Processing” section of the activity.
1. Changing the activity.
After the teams have had a chance to go through their line running forward, have the teams attempt this activity while running sideways with side-step running to increase their agility.
2. Additional variations.
Have students complete this relay by skipping, hopping or leaping.
3. Increasing the difficulty.
Lengthen the course to the entire length of the gymnasium. Use more tubes to create a longer course.
4. Increasing the difficulty.
Have students weave in and out of the tubes in a “figure eight” pattern. This can be done by starting at one end and weaving in and out until they reach the other end. Then, students will return through the tubes in the same fashion to end up where they started.