This activity will help students to increase their flexibility over the course of the school year.
Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Instruction: Whole class or individually
1. Circle up the group. Review the difference between the “bounce” and the hold stretch. If necessary, model this difference for the group.
2. Read the Activity Challenge Box to the group.
Challenge: This activity will help students to increase their flexibility over the course of the school year.
3. Distribute the tubes to the students.
4. The teacher should now use the Toobeez to demonstrate the proper stretch for touching toes with the students.
5. By holding the tube by both ends, stretch to the left and to the right.
6. Have students repeat this stretch at least two to three times.
7. After the activity, move to the “Activity Discussion and Processing” section of the activity
1. Adjusting the activity.
Have the students exchange tubes for another size to change the stretch during the activity.
2. Changing the activity.
Add a stretch and spin of the shoulders to this activity. Have the students stand with their feet shoulder-width apart. While holding the ends of their tube, have the students reach above their heads with their arms fully extended. Repeat this stretch several times.
3. Increasing the difficulty.
Conduct the stretch in Variation #2, but add a slight flex in the knees. After reaching above their heads, have students then bend at the waist to reach toward their toes. Students should feel the stretch in their hamstring muscles. Repeat this stretch several times